The Korolev’s Rooms Hotel
The Korolev’s Rooms Hotel was built in 1910 according to the project of a Perm engineer Artyomov. It belonged to merchant Korolev, who was engaged in timber trade. By 1918, the Korolev’s Rooms were considered the best hotel in Perm.
Since May 1918, Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich, exiled to Perm
by the Bolsheviks, stayed in one of the rooms on the second floor of the hotel. His secretary Zhonson, valet Chelyshev and chauffeur Borunov, who accompanied the Grand Duke in exile, stayed at the same hotel.
On June 12, 1918, at about 11 o’clock in the evening, several Bolsheviks drove up to the Korolev’s Rooms Hotel in two phaetons. They entered the hotel, went up to the Grand Duke’s room and forced Mikhail Alexandrovich to follow them. Zhonson voluntarily went with the Grand Duke. They were taken outside, put into the phaetons and taken to the forest behind the Motovilikha factory, where they were shot.
Subsequently, the Korolev’s Rooms building was the dormitory of the Tchaikovsky Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre. The building was repeatedly subjected to significant redevelopment, as a result, the room in which Mikhail Alexandrovich had stayed in 1918 was not preserved.
In 1991, the first memorial plaque to Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich was unveiled on the building of the Korolev’s Rooms. As the plaque has not been preserved, in 1998 on the facade of the building there was installed a new memorial plaque, which can still be seen today.
On June 11, 2018, at the initiative of the Director of the Perm State Archive of Socio-Political History, Sergei Vasilyevich Neganov, and the Chairman
of the Supervisory Board of Elizabeth-Sergius Educational Society, Anna Vitalievna Gromova, a memorial plaque was also unveiled in memory of the Grand Duke’s secretary– Nikolai Nikolayevich Zhonson.