The Peter and Paul Cathedral
In 1764, at the Yegoshikha plant, a new stone church was consecrated in the name of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. The rite of consecration was held by Bishop of Vyatka and of Perm the Great Bartholomew. When in 1781 the Egoshikha settlement was appointed the Governor’s General residence and named “The City of Perm”, the Peter and Paul Church was transformed into Perm City Cathedral.
In the summer of 1781, here, on the three sides of the square surrounding the cathedral, the construction of administrative and residential buildings of the new city went on at a rapid pace under the leadership of the first Perm Governor-General Evgeny Petrovich Kashkin, an associate of Empress Catherine the Great, a relative of the reigning House of Romanov. The governor’s mansion, the residence of the head of the Kama Region, became the main administrative building.
In the early morning of October 18, 1781, a signal cannon fired – a military squad lined up in the honour guard from the Peter and Paul Cathedral
to the governor’s mansion. Officials led by Governor Lamb and guests of honour came to the governor’s mansion. Kashkin made a short speech, accepted congratulations on the opening of the Perm Governorate General and the centre of Perm Province. Next to Yevgeny Petrovich there stood an empty throne, which symbolized the invisible presence of the Empress. Then a solemn procession on the red cloth to the Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral took place. A portrait of Empress Catherine the Great was installed in front of the altar. The divine service was held by Bishop Lavrentiy. The prayer service was accompanied by the firing of cannons and the ringing of bells. In the evening, Kashkin gave a festive dinner, after which a Ball began in his mansion. All the men appeared in uniforms, and the ladies – in dresses with long trains.
At the beginning of October 1824, the cathedral clergy met Emperor Alexander I, who was visiting Perm, at the cathedral with a cross and holy water.
In 1918, while in exile in Perm, the brother of Emperor Nicholas II, Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich, attended the episcopal service at the Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral.
Проснувшись однажды утром после беспокойного сна, Грегор Замза обнаружил, что он у себя в постели превратился в страшное насекомое.