On August 13, 1913, the most respectable cinema in the city, Triumph, opened in Perm. Advertisement of that time said that the elegant cinema was built in accordance with best foreign examples, has luxurious surroundings, a grandiose lobby, an electric fountain with aquarium fish swimming in it, and a buffet. Various tropical and exotic plants placed along windows. The ceiling of the auditorium was decorated with stucco monograms forming the word “Triumph”. The same word was projected onto the pavement by the light of the lanterns hanging in front of the entrance to the cinema.
Silent films at that time were not accompanied by an ordinary pianist, but
by a string orchestra. Two ladies in velvet dresses used to invite the audience
to the session; they also parted the burgundy curtain. In the auditorium there were armchairs with gilded backs and upholstered in velvet.
Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich, exiled to Perm by the Bolsheviks in 1918, became the most famous visitor of the cinema. From his diary it is known that he was in Triumph on May 23 and 31. During his second visit, he watched White Doves, a Russian historical drama film directed by Nikolai Malikov.
In 1933, the name Triumph was considered too bourgeois, and the cinema was renamed into “Khudozhestvenny” (Art). In the late 1990s, the cinema was reconstructed. “Triumph” was revived under its historical name and became the first modern cinema in our city. The renewed Triumph opened in 1999 with the premiere of Nikita Mikhalkov’s movie The Barber of Siberia in the presence of the greatest director, who played Emperor Alexander III in the movie. Also, in the movie there appeared the youngest son of the Emperor, then still a child, Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich.
Unable to withstand competition from multiplex cinemas, Triumph closed in 2008 and reopened as a private philharmonic eight years later. On the Triumph building, at the entrance to the tunnel, there is a memorial plaque in honour of Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich.