Perm Theological Seminary
The Perm Theological Seminary, founded in 1800, was one of the oldest educational institutions in the Urals. By the beginning of the twentieth century the complex of buildings of the Theological Seminary occupied the entire block from Cathedral Square to Krasnoufimskaya (Kuibysheva) Street.
Before the closure of the seminary in 1918, about three thousand people were educated there. Among them: Archbishop Innokenty of Orel (Korovin-Selnokrinov), Bishop Pallady of Olonets (Pyankov), Bishop of Yekaterinburg Jonah (Kapustin), historians: archpriests Evgeny Popov and Alexander Lukanin, priest Iakov Shestakov; mathematician priest Ioann Pervushin, radio inventor A. S. Popov, “grandfather of Perm progress” P. N. Serebrennikov, writers D. N. Mamin-Sibiryak and P. P. Bazhov and others. More than 30 graduates of the seminary are now glorified as Saints New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia.
One of the most famous students of the Perm Seminary was Archimandrite Antonin (Kapustin) – the Head of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem for almost 30 years. With the active support of the spouse of Emperor Alexander II, Empress Maria Alexandrovna, he not only managed to prevent the closure of the Mission, but also to expand the Russian presence in the Holy Land.
Archimandrite Antonin was one of the initiators of the creation of the Orthodox Palestine Society, which soon received the status of the Imperial Society. The society was headed by the son of Empress Maria Alexandrovna, Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich. Under his leadership, the Palestine Society achieved great success and thoroughly strengthened Russia’s influence in the Holy Land.
In 1918, the rector of the Perm Theological Seminary, Archimandrite Matthew (Pomerantsev), was visited in his apartment by Grand Duke Mikhail Alexandrovich, who was in exile in Perm. It is known that the Grand Duke considered the possibility of moving to this house, located at the corner of Monastyrskaya and Krasnoufimskaya streets. In addition, in the diary of the Grand Duke there are references to walks in the Bishop’s Garden.
In 1919, the seminary was closed and resumed its work only 90 years later, in 2009, but already in a new building – in Shosse Kosmonavtov.
Проснувшись однажды утром после беспокойного сна, Грегор Замза обнаружил, что он у себя в постели превратился в страшное насекомое.